07 December 2010

banana tart

I find that in summer bananas ripe faster than I can eat them. I could buy fewer at I time I guess, but that's not as fun as trying out different banana recipes.

This one is again a Brazilian recipe but I don't think it's a traditional dessert as I don't remember ever having it when I was living there. It's a little too sweet for my taste but my husband swears by it is perfect (isn't he a sweetie?) and he ate it all by himself. So if you have a sweet tooth as he does you might really enjoy this:

For the dough:
1 cup flour
65g unsalted butter at room temperature
1/3 cup caster sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

For the filling:
65g unsalted butter
3 medium bananas cut in half lengthways
2 egg yolks mixed with 1 tbsp caster sugar

For the topping:
2 egg whites
4 tbsp caster sugar

Pre-heat oven at 180oC (fan-forced) or 200oC (conventional).
Mix all ingredients for the dough until well combined.
Transfer to a 22cm round tart ring and press it to the bottom and sides, making sure it's thin and even.
Bake until it starts to get a bit of colour.
While baking the dough, prepare the filling and topping.
Whisk the egg whites. Add the sugar and continue whisking until you get stiff peaks.
Melt the butter in a large frying pan and cook the banana slices (both sides) until nice and golden.
Put the banana slices over the baked dough and spread the egg yolks on the top.
Cover with the meringue and bake for 5 minutes.

Best served hot but room temperature works fine too.

No comments:

Post a Comment