18 January 2011

recycling dumped furniture

I am often appalled by the things I find in the rubbish area of my building. Every week there are lounge sets, bookshelves, office desks, chairs – all in great condition other than normal wear and tear. I just can’t believe how some people can simply dump all these things and send them to landfill!
If I find any item that matches my own furniture, I take it home, give it a good clean, a small fix if needed, and reuse it. That already includes an outdoor dining set, two bookshelves, decorative willow branches, a brand new air-cooling unit and a couch/single bed.
Any other items in good condition but not matching my furniture receive the same treatment and goes on eBay for $0.99. It is a little bit of work to clean it up, take good photos, write up a nice ad and then organise the sale and pick up but it’s so rewarding to know nothing has gone to waste.
Still, I can only do so little compared to the amount of things that are dumped. Is there a better way to deal with this? Is there a way to make people think twice before sending good furniture to landfill? I’d be interested to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment