10 April 2011

80s party food

The menu of my husband’s 80s-themed 30th birthday party included finger food that was in vogue in 80s. At least according to uncle Google, that is:
·         Sushi
·         Egg with mayo
·         Mini quiches
·         Prawn cocktail
·         “Hedgehog” (half-pineapple cut in half, covered in foil and used as base for food on toothpicks) with cheese cubes, salami sticks, olives and cherry tomatoes.

These are all so simple to make as you can basically buy everything ready, plate it all up before your guests arrive and then just enjoy the party!
For my 80s cake I sticked to the Pac Man theme. A ready-bought sponge cake was the perfect base for it. Cut off a big slice, cover it with yellow icing and voila, a perfect Pac Man cake!
I also made Pac Man ghost cookies and scattered them around the cakes. If you google-image “Pac Man ghost cookies” you’ll see the amazing work of other (more talented) people. Mine were a simplified version, as icing is definitely not my friend. I couldn’t find a tulip cookie cutter so I used an egg cookie cutter and cut the wavy bottom of the ghosts with a little paring knife. Writing icing pens did the trick to add colour to the little fellas without the messiness of proper icing.

Cocktails were huge in the 80s but they can be quite messy and time consuming to prepare fresh at the party, so instead I’ve decided to make jelly shot cocktails. These couldn’t be easier to make. Simply replace ¼ of the water with a spirit and there you go. Don’t be tempted to replace anything more than ¼ otherwise your jelly won’t set. My chosen jelly shot “cocktails” were:
·         Mango daikiri: mango jelly + Bacardi rum
·         Cosmopolitan: raspberry jelly + vodka
·         Caipirinha: lime jelly + cachaça (Brazilian rum)

Overall, I wouldn’t call it an elaborate menu, but hey who said the 80s was anything about good taste?

No comments:

Post a Comment